Inga Freiin Von Fircks – PwC, Sydney
Emma Goulding – PwC, Sydney
Dan Cotton – PwC, Sydney
The consumer magazine publishing market consists of advertisers spending on magazines, on magazine websites and mobile sites, plus readers' spending to buy magazines via subscription or retail outlets, and paid digital circulation, principally through downloads to tablets and smart phones.
- Australia remains the third-largest magazine market in the Asia-Pacific after Japan and China. A large gap separates Australia from Hong Kong, in fourth place, and South Korea, in fifth.
- We expect total Australian magazine spending to continue its long-term decline, reaching $1.2 billion in 2016.
- Circulation spending accounts for 58 percent of total magazine spending at the moment but will expand to 61 percent by 2016. While total spending will decrease to $1.2 billion, digital circulation will rise to $83 million in 2016, from $1 million in 2011.
- Advertising spending accounts for 42 percent of total spending and will decrease to 39 percent, as print advertising continues its decline at a slightly faster rate than over the past five years.
To continue reading, please login, or update your access via "Purchase the Web App". The following web app options are available:
Methodology Australian Content – What’s the value?
Perspectives from industry leaders – Interview with Glen Boreham, Chair of the Convergence Review
The contents of the free web app plus:
Australia at a glance: 5 year historical advertising revenues 5 year forecast advertising revenues 5 year historical consumer revenues 5 year forecast consumer revenues
Global overview: 5 year historical and 5 year forecast revenues for total E&M market, advertising revenues and consumer revenues
Key global themes
Cross media ownership matrix
Australian content: Perspectives from industry leaders – 7 featured interviews
Segments and special features can also be purchased individually.
Each chapter includes the sector brand map, a list of who owns what brands in the sector.
The contents of the free web app and the premium web app plus::
Segments: Segments contain deeper analysis
and commentary on each sector including additional graphs and tables
Books, Magazines, Filmed entertainment, Free-to-air TV, Interactive games, Internet, Music, Newspapers, Out-of-home, Radio, Subscription TV
- IPTV Forecasts and commentary on future uptake scenarios
- Mobile commerce An analysis of the current and future landscape in Australia
- Catalogues A data-led look at an underestimated industry